Saturday, November 8, 2008

RE: Havelock Brewster's address to the UWI Graduating Class

Dear all,

Havelock has honoured us all; but most of all, he has honoured UWI by allowing them to honour him. He has done us proud, and I feel particularly grateful for his defence of me - and of course of all of us who declined to defer. For me, Havelock has spoken the last word; history will take care of the long-term. But, the Caribbean has to survive while it endures the transition that I frankly thought we had already passed. And that means more work in a different way. Can we do it? 'Yes we can '. Somehow, there is a connection between Obama's triumph and the basis for optimism that in the Caribbean we can yet get it right.

Regards

Sunny

P. S. As a token of my determination not to succumb to the oldness' of being 80, I have just typed the above message with the new voice recognition system - which I commend to you all. It's almost as good as having a secretary again -- almost.! S

No comments:

Post a Comment